a Dutch reply which was both prompt and conclusive (*).
The Belgian part of the canal Ghent—Terneuzen was brought up to its present dimensions by works executed in the years 1900—1910, as a result of an agreement between Holland and Belgium dated June 20th 1895, modified March 8th 1902. The dimensions of the profile of the canal are there fixed entirely in accordance with Belgian interests as indicated on the part of Belgium. No restrictions whatever were made on the part of Holland.
We may mention, however, that while the preparatory works were in progress the Dutch experts gave as their opinion that the proposed dimensions did not seem to them sufficiënt, with a view to future development of the traffic. But of these observations no account was taken by the Belgians.
On Dutch territory the original plans were carried out in constant touch with the Belgian Board of Works and with its entire approbation. When in 1901, while the new locks at Terneuzen were in course of construction, it became evident that the works executed according to the convention of 1895 would notenable Ghent to compete with the larger ports, Holland showed herself perfectly willing to conform to the new Belgian desires, the result being a new agreement in 1902. Ghent then profited by the faet that the Dutch service of Public Works had always foreseen the necessity of eventual modifications. It was thus possible to give to the canal a depth of 8 m. 75 and a bottom-width of 24 meters with a surface-width of 67 meters, without excessively delaying the completion of the undertaking. On the Belgian part it was possible to increase these dimensions still further, because the work was not so far advanced there. What was done on Dutch territory was entirely in accordance
(*) Compare on this subject a very full article in the Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant of March 28, 1919.